Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Travel part 2

I landed in Dusseldorf, Germany last evening. I was greeted by a small mess-free airport. It was a pleasant experience till I walked out of the aero-bridge.

The passport check was right in front of the aero-bridge. I, ofcourse, had a valid visa – which I showed to the officer behind the glass. He asked me the purpose of visit – and I told him sincerely. He then asked for any documents I had. Ah, I knew he would ask me that and I had specially printed out the documentation and had it with me in my folder. I pulled out the folder from my bag and looked for it.

“Where is it? I clearly remembered keeping it in the folder along with the documents for insurance and ticket quote and itinerary". The officer was more interested now. I gave him a smile and said, “It is right here, just a second.” In a heavily accented English, he said “OK”. I was ruffling through the papers and then I suddenly realized I was right. I did keep the document along with the insurance papers and travel quote and itinerary. But that was more than a month ago when I had applied for the visa. I had collected these documents and given it to the embassy. Ah, yes. I looked up at the officer and gave a stupid smile, “I don’t seem to have it here” , but I have it in my laptop and I could show it in 5 minutes.” I am not sure what the officer thought, may be that I am so stupid and could be of no harm to Germany or that I have a genuine and legitimate reason to be there and just forgot my document. He wanted to know if I was loaded with enough money – which I was and I showed him. And he let me go – a fine fellow.

I then walked out and picked up my luggage and took the train to Dortmund. There I was met by a friend who took me to my accommodation. The room was beautiful, much much more than what I had expected. This morning I met the professor and she was friendly and we had a brief discussion. Then I met Shyamal, a friend from my Bachelors degree, and it was good to see him after 4 years. Thats all upto now. I am planning to visit Berlin this or next weekend. It should be fun.

Later for Later for later.