Friday, August 21, 2009

Belief

I recently watched a very old movie “Chariots of fire”. Made in 1981, it is the story of Olympic Athletes representing GBR. It is a very well made story of how two athletes, a Jew and a devout Christian, find success in Paris. Yes, this is the story line. But the director tells a lot more.

 

It is a story of two athletes with different characters. One wants to win, the other just wants to run fast. One wants to run to prove a point to the world, another wants to run because that is his purpose. One who is ready to sacrifice everything for a medal, another ready to sacrifice running for God. One who doubts himself before the final battle, other believes that God is with him. Both find success by the end of the story. The story has been told in a very simple and touching manner.

The most important piece of the story, to me, was about the Christian from Scotland. There is a lot to learn from this character. He was fast, and he believed God made him fast to run. He says that when he runs, he feels His pleasure. Eric Liddell believed that God was on his side, he believed. He believed with all his heart. He would die but will not forsake his believe, such was the strength of his belief. When one believes in anything with such a fierce strength, it makes life a lot simpler. Think about it, when you believe – it is one less thing to reason about, one less thing to be logical about, one less thing to take stock and be sure about, one less thing to worry about. When you got one less thing to worry about, it gives you more time to enjoy whatever little pleasure one can take from life. Belief is a gift. Not everyone can have such unwavering belief.

 

Eric Liddell got me thinking. Am I lucky enough to believe in something? Do I believe in anything with such fervour. I was feeling miserable for an hour, trying to figure out if there is anything at all that I believe in. Right when I was about to give up and start cursing about everything that is wrong with my life, I realised (this was in the shower!) that I do believe in something. To me life is already complicated, why complicate it more. I believe in living simple. Not wanting too much, not asking for too much. Trying to enjoy and having fun in the littlest of things. Not being bogged down by the bleak future. I find, to my own surprise, that I have changed into this mindless optimist. Mindless? because there are times I just plain refuse to look into future. What does future hold? It is meant to be a surprise, let it be! All I need to know is everything is meant to be. This is what I believe in. And it makes my today easy to bear.

Believe – it is the most difficult thing to do, but it makes everything very easy.