Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Silence of the Rainmaker

Today I am blogging about two movies I saw this week. Silence of the Lambs and The Rainmaker.

Silence of the Lambs: A heavily recommended movie (by a friend whose recommendation I regard highly). I started the movie a bit sceptical. I do not like movies with blood and gross stuff. It is a very old movie. Starring Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster. The movie won Oscar(s). The movie is about a psycho serial murderer, who skins the people he kills. And the only person capable of helping the Police is a very talented Psychiatrist, Dr. Hannibal Lecter. But here is the catch, the Psychiatrist is a CANNIBAL. Hannibal, the Cannibal. Anthony Hopkins has portrayed Dr. Lecter with great dignity. To play a decent, well-mannered Cannibal is quite a task. And Jodie Foster as a rookie cop has done well. If I am right, she got an Oscar. The movie has a very tight script.

The only problem I found in the movie was that the psycho happened to be related to Dr. Lecter in some way. This is too much of a coincidence for me. I could not digest this fact. Other than this, the movie has all ingredients for a classic.

And I nearly forgot, as expected the hero Dr. Lecter escapes from the Police. Some rope for a sequel!! I think there are about 4 movies based on this character.

The Rainmaker: I have one word for you, AWESOME. Coppola is a great director and he proves it yet again in this movie. Based on Grisham's novel of the same name, the movie does justice to the novel. Starring Danny DeVito, Matt Damon. Both of them give commendable performances. DeVito is splendid. He is a great actor and always amazes me with his ease of portrayal. He plays a paralawyer, one who has passed the law school, but has not managed to pass the bar exam. Matt is a young graduate from a law school. He joins this shady firm in which DeVito works. The firm head has many cases of money laundering and other things on him. Matt and Devito team up and chase ambulances. Matt has two cases with him, one is a Will and other is against Insurance company.

Danny Ray is a Cancer patient slowly dying. Great Benefit has denied his insurance claims and Danny takes them to court with Matt's help. Matt now has set up a separate firm along with DeVito. Matt and DeVito fight with big law firm defending the insurance company and win the case. They manage to close down the insurance company. This is a truly well-done master-piece.

A must watch in every sense. I could not find any flaw in the movie. I single out Matt's accent in the movie for appreciation.

Will see you all later then!! Rent these two movies for this weekend.